Saturday 5 January 2013

It's the little things that count

When the news is full of doom and gloom and the daylight hours are in short supply, it's the little things that can lift the spirits. At least that's how it is with me and I don't expect I'm on my own. Today I spotted the first emerging Winter Aconite poking their golden heads above the cold damp earth.


The snowdrops have been in evidence for quite some time but they have buds now and it won't be long before there are masses of perfect white and green flowers. (Note to self - must tidy up the dead leaves and get rid of all that moss soon!)


I seem to remember I blogged our snowdrops this time last year but I don't apologise for feeling ridiculously happy to see them appear again. It's the promise of spring and longer brighter days that lifts my mood. I've been spending far too much time knitting in front of the fire lately. Re energised after a walk in the fresh air I headed into my workroom and put this small quilt top together this afternoon.


As you can see, it's a fairly literal interpretation of a photo I took many years ago. I've used a little of the fabric I rusted for DMTV recently and combined it with some hand dyes and one of Laura's latest digital fabric prints which is called aptly, Rust. I added a moth just because..... well why not?


DMTV members will have seen this decrepit greenhouse before with its broken glass and glorious rusty metal. It was a danger to life and limb and had to be demolished long ago but the photos live on. I think this is going to be the first of a series of rust inspired quilts as I have a number of sketchbook pages from about the same time.


The images really lend themselves to simple patchwork with lots of hand stitch to create some texture. I may even get carried away and add beads although as I write that I can hear Laura groan, please mother no!!


I told you I feel better when we turn the corner and the days begin to lengthen. I must be feeling quite lively today - while I was in the workroom I also started this Attic Window quilt. I loved the old oak tree prints Laura's just added to her Fingerprint shop and felt inspired to chop a fat quarter up as the 'view' through my windows. I can see from this photo that I need to rearrange the blocks so that the branches and twigs make a lot more sense but there's plenty of time for that. I might also add strips between the blocks to give the sills and reveals some depth. I have an idea to applique birds in the niches but we'll have to see if that works out. I like to leave work in progress alone for a while and go back to it with fresh eyes next day. I'm sure I'll know what to do for the best then!

Hope you're all starting the new year with positive and creative thoughts!
Thanks for dropping by - Linda

5 comments:

  1. I felt exactly the same way when I spotted the crocuses poking their leaves up under the trees. The birds seem to be tuning up their voices too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I've had a smile too with the primroses, hellebores and daff doing their thing. Sort of exciting isn't it? Leave, yes to the compost. The moss... I like mosses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed the goldfinch were a little brighter yellow yesterday and the cyclamen have put out their leaves. Like you, I'll take any hint of spring I can get. Snow is in the forecast for the next couple of days, but I do have some of Laura's fabrics to inspire me. I bought moss! My parents, who live near Seattle almost split a seam laughing. Here in the desert, there is no moss and I miss it. So, moss around the potted Amaryllis makes me happy. Wishing you all a beautiful weekend full of hints of what is to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi linda. i came across your blog today. i really admire your work. thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the dead leaves...and adore the moss too! Love your work Linda and just wish I could be as productive! I am getting better at using my time less dreamily but there is still room for improvement! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete